As my approach to workshop facilitation is to always have as much hands-on interaction as possible, I planned to use Twitter the entire evening, and had pre-published some tweets in advance by using HootSuite's Publisher feature. No Power Point slides, just tweets on the screen all night!
I used Twitter to introduce the Learning Objectives for the evening:
I then set up the ice-breaker via pre-published tweets as well:
- It helped me see who had what level of experience using Twitter, so I could form groups accordingly.
- It got participants using some of the 'hallmarks' of Twitter right off the bat: tweet, hashtag, retweet and mention.
- It facilitated social learning as groups at each table were helping each other to tweet, learn and use Twitter correctly.
- It briefly had participants already thinking about Twitter as a customer service tool, which warmed them up for the main activity.
- It was damn fun! Lots of laughter and engagement!